Grilled Hassle Back Sweet Potatoes With Molasses-Nutmeg Butter
Original recipe source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-hassleback-sweet-potatoes-with-molasses-nutmeg-butter.html
Ingredients (Serves 4):
4 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 heaping tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
Canola oil, for brushing
1/2 cup dark rum
1. Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, add 1 tablespoon kosher salt, bring to a boil and cook until a paring knife inserted into the center of the potatoes meets with some resistance. (Do not cook through.) Drain and let cool slightly.
2. Mix together the butter, molasses, cilantro, orange zest and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium high for indirect grilling.
4. Cut off a thin slice of each potato lengthwise to create an even base for the potato to rest on. Slice off the ends of each potato. Rest each potato between two chopsticks or wooden spoons placed lengthwise along the potato (to act as a stop for the knife) and carefully cut vertical slits about every 1/8 inch.
5. Brush the potatoes with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on the cooler side of the grill, cover and cook until lightly golden and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Place the potatoes on a platter and immediately smear the tops with the butter mixture, making sure it melts into the cuts. Heat the rum in a small saucepan, flambe and pour over the potatoes. Serve immediately.